Carers & Families


A new, national Integrated Carer Support Service (ICSS) will commence rollout from September 2019. A range of online and in person services will be available to carers via the Carer Gateway website or by calling 1800 422 737.


My Community Matters - EOI

Carers NSW is inviting carers and carer groups to propose a project to support carers in their local area.
Carers NSW is able to support carers with a viable, innovative and competitive idea to apply for funding as part of the NSW Government’s My Community Project.

My Community Project is a new initiative by the NSW Government to improve the wellbeing of people and communities in NSW. People and groups can participate by submitting project ideas worth between $20,000 and $200,000 and voting for their preferred projects in their electorate.

Funding will be distributed equally across all 93 NSW electorates, and grants will be awarded on a competitive basis by popular vote.

Fact sheets providing further detail on this opportunity and how to express your interest in working with Carers NSW are attached.
If you have a project idea for your local community that requires funding to deliver, and you would like to work with Carers NSW to apply for funding, we invite you to complete our Expression of Interest form, available online at and attached in hard copy.
An information session about this opportunity will be held in the Carers NSW North Sydney office on Thursday 28 March 2019 between 12pm and 1pm. Carers can attend in person or participate via teleconference using Zoom software. The Zoom teleconference will also be recorded for viewing after the live session.
• If you would like to attend in person, please RSVP by Monday 25 March 2019 to [email protected] or on (02) 9280 4744
• If you would like to participate via Zoom, visit If the link does not work, enter the Meeting ID: 478-202-171. The password is Info1.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, or would like to receive a recording of the information session, please contact the Carers NSW Policy Team at [email protected] or on (02) 9280 4744.

CARERS NSW - Upcoming Therapeutic Groups for Carer

Therapeutic Counselling Groups

Therapeutic counselling groups are designed to help improve the overall wellbeing of carers in NSW.

Therapeutic counselling groups provide carers with an opportunity to explore the emotional impact of caring in a group setting, identify ways of managing everyday life and share experiences with people who are in similar situations.

The groups run over a course of six weeks and are facilitated by professionally trained counsellors either in person or over the phone via Talk-link. The group sessions, run at the same time each week and last approximately one hour. There is no cost involved in participating in a therapeutic counselling group.

Go to the CARERS NSW Website to find out more about the Therapeutic Groups (inc. Dates/time)

NSW Carers Advisory Council - current vacancies

Applications are currently invited for Aboriginal, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) or youth membership of the NSW Carers Advisory Council.

There are up to three vacancies for Aboriginal, CALD or young people who have personal experience as a carer, or who can demonstrate relevant professional, academic or community experience in issues affecting these groups of carers in NSW and passion for advancing the interests of carers.

Applicants should be able to demonstrate their commitment to the wellbeing of carers and to putting the person(s) they care for at the centre of decisions made about them. Members should have an understanding of government decision-making processes, leadership skills and a capacity to contribute strategically to the development of policy.
The NSW Carers Advisory Council (the Council) was established under the NSW Carers (Recognition) Act 2010 to advance the interests of carers. The Council provides advice to the NSW Government on legislation, policy and other matters relating to carers. The Council meets approximately four (4) times a year in Sydney.
While the majority of members of the NSW Carers Advisory Council are carers, others with relevant expertise about caring are encouraged to apply.
Visit the NSW Carers Advisory Council website for more information about the Council and the recruitment process.

To apply visit:

Please contact the Carers Team on 02 8753 9339 or email [email protected]
if you need reasonable adjustment for any aspect of the application process

Applications Close 5pm, Monday 18 February 2019

Carer Achievement Pathway Project (for young carers)

Carers NSW is delivering a newly launched program called the Carer Achievement Pathway as part of the Federal Government's Try, Test and Learn fund.
The project involves supporting young carers (aged under 25 years) who are caring for a family member or friend with a disability, mental illness, chronic condition or who are frail aged and require assistance to reach their education and employment goals and live in the Great Western Sydney region.

For further information visit: or call (02) 9280 4744

Early Days Moving Forward Workshop

Come to a free information session for parents and guardians of children with disability aged up to 12 years old. You will be able to meet with other parents and talk about:

Your NDIS Experience
What the ECEI Pathway is and how to access it
Ways to speak up for your child
Transition to school and school supports
Subsidised supports and services in your area.

It does not matter whether your child has an NDIS Plan or not. Arabic & Vietnamese Interpreters will be available on the day.

Thursday, 29 November. 9:30am to 2:30pm
Fairfield RSL Club. RSVP to 1800 242 636

Older Persons Mental Health First Aid Course

SET2LEARN in partership with the City of Canterbury-Bankstown are offering training targeting aged care workers, carers and family members caring for older people who may be developing/experiencing mental health problems.

Bankstown Library
10 & 11 December
9am to 4pm
Cost is FREE and includes lunch and refreshments
Subsidised by the NSW Ministry of Health

Phone Valerie Mendez on 0425 397 888 or 9853 3268