Resolving Problems with Services

It is ok to complain

  • All service users have a right to complain
  • Dissatisfaction is determined by YOU, not when family members, workers or your service provider says its OK or not.
  • The law says community service providers have an obligation to resolve complaints.
  • Making a complaint is not saying that the provider or worker is bad, and doesn't mean you are "making trouble" for the worker.
  • Services must not victimise you if you make a complaint- the law protects service users from retribution.

Why complain?

  • You are more likely to get what you need
  • It can help others in similar situations
  • It can lead to service improvement.
  • You can participate in decisions that affect your life.

What can you complain about?

  • Something you believe is unfair
  • Something about the service that makes you unhappy
  • Being treated unreasonably
  • If the service is not doing something it should be
  • If the service is provided in a way that does not match the HACC Standards or the HACC Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.

Options for making a complaint
Make a phone call, write a letter, ask for a meeting

Steps for making a complaint
1. Got a problem with a service: do you want to take action to resolve it?
2. Try to sort it out by raising it at the local level. ie. With the person who provides the service (eg. Support worker, Driver) or their supervisor (eg. Co-ordinator)
3. Go up higher in the organisation by speaking to the next level of management (eg. Branch Manager, Management Committee)
4. If the organisation has a unit that specifically deals with complaints, contact the unit
5. Make a complaint to an external body that is independent of the service provider (External Body: NSW Ombudsman: 1800 451 524; Funding Body-NSW Family & Community Services :Ageing, Disability & Home Care 9334 3700)